Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rain Only Love



© 2009 by Deb Flores. All Rights Reserved.


This is the only way I know how to help.



New York, NY. Last September 27, the tropical storm Ondoy/Ketsana sank the better part of my country, the Philippines that the unrecoverable damages to private and public property approach billions, and the death toll that rose with the water level still rises today.

In their vigorous water scooping so as not to let the water submerge the electrical outlets,
my family is spared. However, some people we know were not. My officemates in JWT Manila were stricken, and one of my best friend's clan from Laguna now is hopeless and helpless.

I don't have any money. I'm relying heavily on my family's support from all the way here. But I want to do something. And I do design. So this is how I thought I would help.

I've designed this Rain Love on Manila graphic. I feel it's time to weather the storm with a showering of compassion. This is the language that I speak and wish to convey. I hope that people everywhere who believe that this message is valid and true, share this design with anyone and everyone they know.

I'm looking for means to get the Rain Love on Manila graphic printed on white shirts, tote bags, and sticker labels. I think if people see more of this, we channel a positive energy of support, and collect funding that we can wire back to the Philippines.

I need help. I'm not as liquid as I'd like. Please help me look for these raw materials (in Chinatown or in your own closets and balikbayan boxes) or help me make them (I don't know how to silkscreen). I am offering my apartment as a mini-sweat shop to do some of these things.

Would anyone out there be willing to lend a hand, or buy these finished goods for the love of Manila, or for the empathy toward a Filipino friend?

A dollar can feed a family for a day in the Philippines. Our minimum wage is only the equivalent of 60 cents a day here in New York. Help me feed, clothe and shelter my neighbors in the Philippines.

If you want to know more about how to help me "rain love on Manila", please email me at rainloveonmanila@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment